Home
NBA Rumors: Tom Thibodeau Would Only Leave Bulls For Knicks Coaching Job Reviewed by Momizat on . [new_royalslider id="279"] Since Mike D'Antoni's resignation, numerous coaches have expressed interest in the Los Angeles Lakers' vacant head coaching position. [new_royalslider id="279"] Since Mike D'Antoni's resignation, numerous coaches have expressed interest in the Los Angeles Lakers' vacant head coaching position. Rating: 0
You Are Here: Home » NBA News » NBA Rumors: Tom Thibodeau Would Only Leave Bulls For Knicks Coaching Job

NBA Rumors: Tom Thibodeau Would Only Leave Bulls For Knicks Coaching Job

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

Since Mike D’Antoni’s resignation, numerous coaches have expressed interest in the Los Angeles Lakers’ vacant head coaching position. After the draft lottery, the team has already interviewed Byron Scott and Mike Dunleavy Sr. and hope to have a new coach in place by the NBA Draft on June 26.

Lakers Nation Store Is Back! Check Out The Latest Gear!

One of the coaches the Lakers are rumored to reach out to is Chicago Bulls head coach, Tom Thibodeau. While the team would have to ask for permission to speak to him, Bleacher Report’s Ric Bucher believes Thibodeau would only be interested in leaving Chicago for New York:

“There’s only one place that Thibodeau would really push to go elsewhere, and that’s to go back to the New York Knicks,” Bucher said. “That, I’m told by one source, is actually his dream job, to go back and get the Knicks back on the map. But short of that, he realizes that no matter where he goes, the grass isn’t always greener.”

Thibodeau served as an assistant coach for the Knicks from 1996-2003 and is rumored to be interested in bringing back the franchise to championship contenders. However, there is uncertainty surrounding Carmelo Anthony’s upcoming free agency and it is even possible that Anthony could join forces with Derrick Rose in Chicago this off-season.

Although Thibodeau and the Bulls’ front office reportedly have had their share of difficulties, it is unlikely that the team willingly lets him walk. Thibodeau is considered one of the best head coaches in the league and has led the Bulls to playoff appearances despite losing Rose to consecutive season-ending injuries.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
2014 Sports Spectacular

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter

About The Author

Dan Duangdao is the Editor-in-Chief of Lakers Nation. Follow him on Twitter: @DanDuangdao

Number of Entries : 417
  • Lakers Rebuilding

    Knicks are kinda stuck though they cant offer any draft picks for a LONG time and most of their players no one will take so theres no way he can go to the knicks unless he demands to be released but that’s very unlikely but if he did wanna leave at least the lakers got something to build on with the draft pick and kobe. Thibs best bet is LA because LA is a better bet for sure than the knicks

    • wawa

      Better for short term but for sure long how much longer can kobe play? And will their pick be the next Kobe? Doubt it?

  • Martin

    The Lakers FO should try to talk Rick Fox into coaching them,he would be perfect.

  • TheTruthKills

    I guess we can kill that “give up our first for thibs” crap.

  • Andy L

    This just in: Jim Buss has offered Lakers’ headcoaching position to Donald Sterling!

  • Horace

    Kobe Bryant better speak up on the coaching search this is getting dicey.

  • VillainKing

    Hire coach Lionel Hollins!!!!!Keep the 7th pick always Lakers and draft Marcus Smart..

  • JohnSmith00

    Does it really matter?, if Chicago actually considers letting go of thibs they’re going to want some serious value in return. The Lakers would be fools to give up their pick considering as I’ve said that there are plenty of other competent coaches out there that can be had for nothing. As for N.Y. the likelihood of him going there is slim because even though fans there like fans in L.A, would be thrilled to have him. Their FO on the other hand, PJ specifically, only seems to be interested in hiring those who played for him first Kerr, now Shaw and Fisher.

  • CCX

    Thibs is a one-trick pony, he is a masterful defensive coach- that’s it. He has not a clue on offense. Yes, it’s true that defense win’s titles, but you do have to outscore the other team to win games, no?

  • Kliffrichard

    Hire George Karl and Jeff van Gundy and Quin Snyder or Trade Draft pick for tom thibodeau as next head coach LA Lakers

    • mjfadaway

      No.

      • Kliffrichard

        80% chance yes can be possible to happen Hire George Karl,Jeff van Gundy ,Quin Snyder or Trade Draft pick for tom thibodeau and my opinion 20% byron scott he is option only and gm mitch and lakers organizations make choose next coach

        • http://rantsofascorpio.wordpress.com/ Evan

          George Karl is way past his good years, Jeff Van Gundy is eh, and not sure the odds on Quin. One first round pick is not going to steal Thib. Not sure where your 80% comes from but it’s very misinformed. Byron is on the short list, one of the first two names to leak in the actual interviews.

  • Beto

    Thibs is the second best coach in the NBA behind Gregg Popovich.People can hate on his offense all they want but the bottom line is the guy is a winner and his teams overachieve the guy gets the most out of his roster.

    I am not saying trade the seventh pick for Thibs that would be a bad move for the Lakers of course.

    No coach even Gregg Popovich is worth the seventh pick in any draft let alone this once in a decade great draft.No i am not advocating trading our lottery pick for a coach.

    I am just saying Coach Thibs is a great coach and he is a defensive genius and his team defense is the best i have seen since Chuck Daly was coaching.Coach Thibs is a very highly respected head coach in the NBA.

    I think the only way the Bulls would let Thibs come to the Lakers is if we take on the Carlos Boozer contract so they can free up salary cap space to sign Carmelo Anthony and even we did that favor for them they would then request a 2015 and 2017 second round pick from the Lakers.

    So no outgoing lottery pick we keep that mainly the Lakers would absorb the horrendous expiring contract of Carlos Boozer and then it would workout perfect because it will expire next season and then the

    Lakers would be able to use that huge cap space on Kevin Love and the Lakers can even retain Pau Gasol in this scenario at a reduced rate for 1 year plus a team option.

    The Lakers can get Thibs without giving away the seventh pick.I say do it get him but at the right price don’t trade the lottery pick for a coach but try to workout some other compensation.

    The Lakers could trade Steve Nash back to the Suns or maybe to Toronto or to a team looking for publicity and to sell Nash jerseys but if all else fails they can just keep him and let his $9.7 million dollars contract expire at seasons end and that would open up an additional $9.7 million dollars in salary cap space.

  • comrade24

    Well this report is OBVIOUSLY fabricated, because i don’t believe that Thibodeau is a moron! Who in their right mind would leave the Bulls, who have a very talented core with cap room to get better for the mess that is the Knicks? Only Mike D’Antoni would make that leap.

  • Devin

    We are not getting Thib.But i want us to get any of the following coaches Billy Donovan,Shaka Smart,Travis Ford,Johnny Dawkins,Steve Alford,Sean Miller,Tyrone Lue,Lawrence Frank,Scott Skiles,Chip Rick Pitino Jr,Luke Walton,Dave Fizdale,Hakeem Olajuwon,Fred Hoiberg,Seth Greenberg,Adrian Griffin,Kelvin Sampson,Rick Fox,Sam Cassell,Sidney Lowe,Popeye Jones.

    • vdogg

      lol. is that all? rick fox? seth greenberg? why not seth rogan, seth meyers or seth green, too? i am relieved that you’re not in charge of my lakers.

    • Chrmngblly

      Talk about DOA.

  • roseducanna

    Hire THIBODEAU, buyout NASH,sign GASOL, keep 7th trade.Sign some players coach want.

    • http://rantsofascorpio.wordpress.com/ Evan

      You are aware that Thibodeau is under contract with the Bulls, right? We cannot just offer him a contract and hope he signs it. We would have to give Chicago enough to get him.

  • Gregory Gaylen

    Let Tibs go try to fix that mess called the NYK’s… Bulls in much better shape, team wise. Lakers don’t need to give up anything for any coach. Rebuild the right way.

Privacy Policy | © 2014 Medium Large, LLC. All Rights Reserved

Don't Miss Any of the Latest Laker News

  • Lakers Player News, Rumors & Score Updates
  • Lakers Interviews & Practice Reports
  • Be the FIRST to know about Giveaways & Special Store Sales
Scroll to top