Donald Sterling is refusing to go down quietly despite all signs pointing to a sale of the Los Angeles Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.
Sterling’s lawyer Max Blecher has said that Sterling will sue the NBA for $1 billion for forcing him to sell the team:
Donald Sterling plans to file a $1 billion lawsuit against the NBA, his attorney Max Blecker confirms in email to Yahoo Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) May 30, 2014
There had already been the threat of Sterling suing the NBA since he initially hired Blecher. Sterling’s lawyers prepared a 32-page report detailing the reasons they felt it was wrong to force Sterling to sell the team, even mentioning Kobe Bryant in it.
Sterling’s wife, Shelly, was put in charge of the sale since Donald could not take part in anything having to do with the team after being banned.
Everything stemmed from a recording of Sterling in which he made racist remarks to his mistress V. Stiviano, forcing NBA commissioner Adam Silver to ban him from the NBA for life.
The sale of the Clippers to Steve Ballmer still has to be approved by the other 29 NBA owners, but it is expected to be taken straight to the NBA for approval.
Magic Responds To Donald Sterling, Says He’d Rather Own The Lakers, ‘Not The Clippers’