NBA News: Donald Sterling To Pursue Lawsuit Against League
Just when people thought they had seen the last of Donald Sterling and the scandal was in the past, Sterling changes everything.
According to ESPN’s Ramona Shelburne, Sterling has told his lawyer that the deal to sale the Clippers is off, and to pursue a lawsuit against the NBA:
The attorney for Donald Sterling, Max Blecher, says in an email, "the deal is off" and he's been instructed by DTS to pursue lawsuit vs NBA
— Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) June 10, 2014
This is yet another twist in the ongoing saga between Donald Sterling, the Los Angeles Clippers, and the NBA. Just last week, it was announced that former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer had agreed to purchase the Clippers for $2 billion.
This came on the heels of Sterling threatening to sue the NBA for forcing him to sell the team. Sterling’s lawyers put together a document noting all of the reasons Sterling should not have to sell the team, even bringing up Kobe Bryant as evidence.
All of that seemed to be done after last week’s announcement, but now Sterling has changed his mind and will apparently pursue a lawsuit, a process which could wind up being extremely lengthy.
If litigation was to stretch out, it could pose an issue for the NBA and its players. There were rumors that players would boycott games if Sterling was still owner by the time next season begins.
Sterling has been a lightning rod for controversy since a recording was leaked of him using racial remarks. Sterling would make things worse in an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper in which he blasted Lakers legend Magic Johnson.
Mitch Kupchak Talks At NBA Combine