At this point, most people have heard the news that Mike D’Antoni has resigned as head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. D’Antoni would have been owed $4 million for the final year on his contract, but
it looks like he won’t be receiving that money.
According to the LA Times’ Mike Bresnahan, D’Antoni won’t be receiving the full $4 million he was signed for:
More clarification: As part of his resignation, D'Antoni will receive less than half of the $4 million he would have made next season.
— Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) May 1, 2014
This is expected seeing as how D’Antoni resigned and was not fired. Had D’Antoni been fired, he would have received the full remainder of his contract.
The final straw for D’Antoni in his decision was apparently the Lakers’ refusal to pick up his fourth-year option before this season. D’Antoni wanted the insurance that move would have granted and the Lakers were unwilling to grant it.
Reactions to the announcement have been mixed so far. Magic Johnson has expressed his joy to the resignation, while Jordan Farmar said he was disappointed, while still maintaining his intentions to return to the Lakers next year.
The Lakers have said their search for a replacement will start immediately and recent rumors linked the team to former Lakers Byron Scott and current assistant Kurt Rambis.
BREAKING: Mike D’Antoni OUT, Magic Johnson Says He Couldn’t Be Happier