Lakers News and Rumors Recap: The Lakers Can Still Finish Seventh
How is this possible? Simple. Some of it has to do with luck, as a few factors will need to fall in line to make everything go their way. So let me break it down for you:
- As of right now, the Lakers sit in the 8th spot in the West with 37 losses.
- The H0uston Rockets (7th) will have a spot, no matter what happens, in the playoffs. But, depending on how their game goes against the Lakers, their seeding could change.
- The Rockets lost to the Suns last night. They stand at 36 losses.
- The Lakers play their last game against the Rockets on Wednesday. They stand at 37 losses.
- Both the Rockets and Lakers have one game left, against one another.
- If the Lakers beat the Rockets, the season series between the teams would be tied at 2-2
- Therefore, the team with the best record against the West would get the higher seed.
- Right now, the Rockets are 24-27 versus the West, while the Lakers are 27-24.
- This means the Lakers would get the higher seed.
Why do the Lakers want seed #7? Simple. The Thunder, as of today, are#1. The Spurs will end up with #2 spot. The Thunder beat the Lakers three out of four times this year, and I believe would be impossible to beat in the first round of the playoffs. The Spurs would be easier to take down, especially seeing that the Lakers won the other night against San Antonio without Kobe.
Unfortunate news: today, the Lakers released an update of Nash’s injury, which included results from a recent MRI performed on Nash. He will not be playing on Wednesday. Preexisting issues related to his hip and back are causing nerve irritation and contributing to his hamstring pain and weakness. Nash has missed 32 games (including tomorrow) this season for the Lakers due to various injuries.
Lakers Nation would like to wish a very happy birthday to Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who turned 66 years-old today. Abdul-Jabbar, who won five NBA championships with the Lakers (six total), and ended his career with more points than any other player in league history. Send him a tweet and pass on the love.
Lakers Nation News
Without Their Leading Man, the Lakers’ Supporting Actors Responded Well [The Point Forward]
Julius Erving: 76ers ‘Have Not Benefited’ from Andrew Bynum At All, Should Let Him Walk [Ball Don't Lie]