Lakers Fans React: Andrew Bynum Edging Out Dwight Howard
Over the summer and throughout the pre-season, fans have been clamoring for the Lakers to trade their oft-injured young center, Andrew Bynum for reigning league superstar center, Dwight Howard. Prior to this past weekend when Andrew finally stepped on the court, it was a foregone conclusion that Dwight was the clear choice amongst the fans.
Looks like Andrew has something to prove this year, as he has come out dominating the glass and protecting the lane, averaging 17.0 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game.
On the offensive side, Andrew has showed a renewed patience in the post and a better awareness of three second violations. He’s always had the ability to snare rebounds with his length, but instead of putting it back up right away, he quickly assesses the situation and puts himself in a better position to score.
Don’t be mistaken, though. The line between Drew-Keepers and Drew-Traders is still there and last night’s poll on our Facebook Fan Page definitely shows that Andrew is not only snaring rebounds, he’s snaring back the love of Lakers Nation. At the time this was posted, since the poll is still ongoing, Drew managed to have the lead over Howard.
- Andrew is a more well-rounded player than Dwight Howard
- Andrew is better prepared to play in the clutch of 4th quarters than the free-throw challenged Howard
- Andrew is younger than Dwight and has taken less pounding over his career
- Andrew has been the victim of bad luck more-so than being injury prone
- Andrew’s history of injuries make it foregone conclusion he will injure himself again this season
- Dwight Howard has missed only 8 games in his entire career
- Dwight Howard’s defense alone can make up for his lack of offensive skills
- Dwight Howard will be able to draw superstar free agents to Los Angeles once Kobe retires